Friday, July 18, 2008

Meryl + 3 handsome men + ABBA = FUN!

It should come as no surprise that my sister-in-law and I went to the midnight showing of "Mamma Mia!" and thoroughly enjoyed it. While the crowd at the movie theater was really there for the new Batman flick, leave it to us to saunter into the half-empty (half-full?) "Mamma Mia!" auditorium. As IF we'd have any business joining the crowds to see Heath and Christian. Who needs Gotham when you can have Greece?

I'll detail it later but I'd just like to say that YES, it was cheesy.  YES, it was over the top. But YES, it was so damn entertaining because it gave us just what we wanted: over the top cheesiness portrayed by a great cast, super-fun music, and a familiar stage story that makes us both squeal.

I'd pay whatever, kill however and do whoever it takes to play Sophie one day. Dream role? YES.

I'm sure I'll see it again. It's really a mother-daughter flick after all so I gotta go with the momster (yes, I'm inviting you via blog). I'd be lying if I said I didn't cry during Sophie and Donna's montage scene of "Slipping Through My Fingers." I don't know, maybe it's the recent bride in me, but SIL was crying too, so whatever!

Anyhoo, go see it! It's cute!!

2 comments:

KZ said...

I totally want to see that movie. Was anyone singing along in the audience?

AliGoesBlogWild said...

There was this FABULOUS guy in front of me who started to sing with the intro when Sophie does "I have a dream/a song to sing..." I could hear his voice from down below so I leaned over and said "Um, you're not going to do this the whole time, are you?" and he looked up at me and nodded. WHEW! That was it, though.