Sunday, November 16, 2008

A Wonderful Opening

After six long weeks of rehearsals that included tons of conflicts, varied venues, and difficult music to learn, our cast enjoyed a great opening weekend of A Wonderful Life: The Musical.

I haven't talked about it very directly in my blog. I mean, it IS the reason why I haven't blogged much in the past month and a half because it's taken up a lot of my hours that I normally devote to blogging. But now that the show has opened and I've given it my own little stamp of approval, I thought I'd share my pride and excitement for this musical take on a holiday classic.

To be perfectly honest, the source musical material is not spectacular. With the music and lyrics team behind the piece (Harnick and Raposo), I expected more. There is a handful of catchy, toe-tappin' songs, but a lot of them don't gel with my preference in musical theater numbers. Thankfully, everyone knows the story and has related to Jimmy Stewart's George Bailey throughout life, so the mediocre music doesn't affect the wonderful show. Our cast sealed the deal with a stellar leading man who acts the part perfectly and has gained my respect as a fellow actor, and the performance for his wife, Mary Hatch Bailey, is extremely likeable and I'm glad to call her my off-stage friend.

I always adore seeing my husband up on stage. It's just so much fun to what you love with the one you love. Bryan plays Ernie, the cab driver and is an important part of the show. Plus, he's dead sexy in a cabbie hat.

I have a bit part as Ruth Bailey (as well as featured ensemble roles) and I'm having a terrific time bringing Ruth and other wacky characters of Bedford Falls to life. Over opening weekend, I received some great compliments about my work on stage and I'm glad that my efforts have been recognized. I always put a great deal of thought into my characters so I can represent the material with truth and reality in the pretend world on stage. I've never received the same compliments with such sincerity in previous productions, so I finally feel like I've leapt into a new category of capabilities. It feels like a million bucks and I look forward to future hurdles and challenges that my passion for theatre brings.

Overall, I think the next five weeks of shows will be super fun. Best Man Extraordinaire Brian is also in the show and he actually plays my husband! We have a great time on stage together and it's so clear why my Ruth loves his Harry Bailey! He's a fantastic dancer and looks resplendent in his military getup!

I think this holiday season will be just a little sweeter with this show catapulting us into the end of December. It is heartwarming and fun and really, who can resist that little pile of adorableness, Little Zuzu, when she says "Listen Daddy! Every time a bell rings, an angel gets its wings!" ?? Only a Scrooge. But that's a totally different show altogether!

image Dress rehearsal photo of my "husband" Harry Bailey toasting his newly rich brother George (I'm right next to him, not yet wigged!)

2 comments:

MissJordyPants said...

YAH! So glad it went well! When is the GTG?

:-)

Unknown said...

If only YOU wrote the reviews!