Saturday, January 12, 2008

I didn't really leave my heart in San Francisco


I am back! My body may be alive but as a human, I am braindead. My company's national sales meeting in San Francisco didn't totally kill me, thanks to the multiple glasses of wine I drank nightly (my liver on the other hand...).

The days: long and slightly boring as my region of sales reps rotated from room to room to learn about all the new products. Thankfully, there are a few of us smartasses who sit next to each other to make the sessions more entertaining. There's something about sales meetings that make a bunch of twenty and thirty-somethings retract to middle school.

The nights: fun and slightly wild as my colleagues (all 1000 of them) got dolled up for dinners and dances, awards ceremonies (nada for yours truly thankyouverymuch!) and speeches. Some people drank and danced and forgot all about their fidelities while others, like me, enjoyed free entertainment: drunk people.

The next days: the same as the other days but with hangovers (thankfully, I learned my lesson last time -- went a little something like this: "never again" -- and I did not achieve hangover status during this sales meeting). Wash, rinse, repeat for 6 days and there's your winter national sales meeting.

I could not have been happier to walk in my door where B greeted me with open arms. While I made the most of my sales meeting and being gone for so. freaking. long., it was wonderful to be back in a familiar place. Since I was couped up in the hotel for 6 days (except for one day off that I got to spend with Red Weenie, a good friend since junior high who moved to SF about 2 years ago) I felt like I had traveled to a whole other world and when I got home, I had to re-orient myself with our house. I went around touching things and smelling things; it was a very weird feeling to regain my freedom and take ownership of my space. But after a few hours, I got back in the groove and felt at ease as B and I cuddled on the couch, catching up on some Tivo and enjoying some ice cream.

Just like old times.

No comments: