Thursday, March 13, 2008

Keep a Kippah

I just made yet another wedding purchase. I never in my life thought that I would ever own 75 kippot! I was wrong. I am now the proud owner of a whole slew of black suede Jewish head coverings that say "Wedding of Bryan and Alison May 25, 2008" centered inside the dome. Just ANOTHER batch of items to bring to Spanish Hills on the wedding day that will be contained in basket with a pretty pink and orange ribbon tied on.

I had a nice chat with one of my New Testament friends yesterday (she calls me her Old Testament friend. Who said that Jews and Gentiles can't be friends? Ya hear that Middle East?!?! It WORKS if you quit bombin' each other!) and she was wondering if her boyfriend should wear a yarmulke at the wedding. Neither have been to a Jewish wedding before and I've ONLY been to Jewish weddings so it was kind of a question for both of us. After a little time with my favorite friend, Google, I had some ideas. I imagine there are different hardcore rules for the Orthodox Jews, but I learned that, in general, wearing a kippah has become more of a cultural custom than a religious custom and that anyone is allowed to wear one. Also, at Jewish events like weddings and Bar Mitzvot -especially when inside a synagogue- it is a sign of respect to sport one while there is a service. Now, our wedding will be outside at a country club and, while it's officiated by a Rabbi, it's not a religious setting. However, it's still a sign of respect to wear one.

It's funny because my NT Friend also asked if the Jewish men who already own their own kippot will bring them to the wedding. I thought about it for a second and that brings an interesting point. No, I don't believe Jewish men bring their own kippot to a wedding. The only time I see that is when they are going to temple for a religious service or day. However, if kippot are provided FOR them at a wedding, then they will pick them up and wear them, because, well, that's just what ya do. So, the wedding ceremony is Jewishly important enough to wear a kippah if it's provided, but not Jewishly important enough to bring one from home. Interesting.

I figure all the Jewish men in attendance will pick one up, but I think that the non-Jewish guests will wear one, too either because they think they absolutely have to and don't want to be the odd man out, or they will understand that it's a sign of respect and that it's part of the custom. Either way, I think it's nice that a group of different people can come together and still participate and enjoy a tradition and a beautiful Jewish wedding ceremony.

At any rate, I have 75 kippot just aching to rest on a man's head, and I have a feeling I'll have quite a few leftovers since not everyone keeps them. Looks like I'll be hosting a lot of Shabbat and Passover dinners in order to get some wear out of 'em!

No comments: