Monday, April 28, 2008

The Force was With Me

Today, I was a couch potato. B and I spent our Sunday sharing our living room with 4 of our friends, experiencing a monumental moment: My first STAR WARS viewing.

Yep, you heard me. In all my almost-25 years of living, I've managed to get away without seeing any of the STAR WARS movies. B knew this early on in our relationship, but I think he had a panic attack when he realized that he's about to marry a girl who's not too privy to the ways of the Jedi. Apparently, that's unacceptable.

So, we made a date with fellow friends who wanted to witness this event and brought in a bunch of food and watched all three original episodes (so IV, V, and VI which is kind of stupid to me that it's all out of order) from about noon til 7:00 p.m. with food breaks and um, explanation breaks included.

Yes, explanation breaks. The rules were very clear. I was only allowed to ask two questions that needed pausing to further explicate per film. If I exceeded this amount, I was not allowed to eat the rest of the food (and boy did we have a lot of yumminess strewn about the coffee table). I did a pretty good job of keeping to my limit! I got made fun of a lot for the questions I did ask, but it's okay. I'm used to it!

So what did I think? Eh. Yeah. If I'd never seen any of these movies, I wouldn't be missing the key to life or anything. I guess it was entertaining. Its just hard for me to get on board with aliens and lasers and ships with endless amounts of room to run around and have fights. The movies were pretty choppy and left a lot of details to be figured out, but I'm also a much more specific movie-lover. I pretty much only like "realistic" movies that cover real life issues and people. LIFE AS A HOUSE, SIDEWAYS, GARDEN STATE, SPANGLISH, THE UPSIDE OF ANGER... these are the flicks that really "wow" me. But, STAR WARS is an experience and a rite of passage and I'm glad I now know what all the hubbub is about. It's such a huge part of pop culture, I can finally feel like I'm part of the joke. And the Star Tours ride at Disneyland is no longer a fun, jolty movie-ride. I guess I get it. Now it's time to pop in SPACEBALLS for a whole new understanding of Mel Brooks's world. All in all, it was a fun day and I enjoyed hanging out with our friends.

I'm prepared for the next movie intervention. I'm sure it will be for BACK TO THE FUTURE and the 80s Brat Pack flicks. Yup, that's right. You heard me. What can I say? I guess I'm a traitor to my generation.

Ok, that last line-- can you name what THAT tidbit is from? It's a '90s flick which means a) I've seen it and b) I LOVE it! I guess being a child of the '80s doesn't mean being a movie-lover of the '80s. Ouch, that was way harsh Tai.

1 comment:

weezermonkey said...

You're a virgin who can't drive.