Saturday, April 5, 2008

Todd you so!

So, it turns out, I CAN be surprised! I actually liked SWEENEY TODD. I stand by my assumptions that it would be dark and insane, but it was an enjoyable evening. I still don't think the overall show is in my Top 20 (yes, I have a Top 20. Shush.), but the John Doyle-directed production was a fascinating concept. The actors on stage did a phenomenal job acting their parts, playing their musical instruments as IF they were extensions of their bodies (therefore, the way, form and vigor with which the music was played reflected the character's current position), and conveying all parts of London on a very minimal set. The use of the coffin as a restaurant bar, window sill, judge's chamber, barber station and the very symbol itself was absolutely brilliant. The colors on the stage and on the actors were black and white with obvious hints of red, while the lighting designer did the rest of the work to portray moods, times and places. It was just really, really good.

It also didn't make it less entertaining that on our way to our seats, B and I literally ran into our theater company's producer and her director boyfriend. We had a nice time chatting with them and ended up sitting with them. They are very entertaining people with a lot to say, so we enjoy soaking it up and getting to know them better. They adore B because, well, he's a good looking tenor who makes the perfect love hero in pretty much every musical. Me, I'm a dime a dozen ensemble girl, but they like me anyway (probably cuz I'm attached to that good looking tenor). Either way, they definitely add some, shall we say, pizzazz to any experience.

The next show we see is MY FAIR LADY in a couple weeks as the next part of the Ahmanson season. It's funny how we don't go for months and then we go twice in one month. I'll tell ya what we won't be doing next time: eating at Pinot Grill in the courtyard of the Music Center. The food was mediocre. That's okay, we were hungry and were close to eating our own feet. However, dear restaurateurs, you can't make mediocre food, serve it on plastic plates, not even serve tap water, and still charge  $27 for the average meal. You just can't. Oh, wait, yes you can. You are the only restaurant conveniently placed anywhere near the theater. Damn gougers. We totally fell for it, but no more! We can't be swept off our feet by your pretty twinkle lights and romantic outdoor setting! No no, we shall resist you! Plus, our food got cold instantly which is what happens with alfresco dining. Oh well, you live you learn.

2 comments:

weezermonkey said...

I am sad to hear that Pinot Grill was disappointing. I am usually a Joachim Splichal fan, but, sadly, not all of his restaurants are hits. (I love Cafe Pinot and Nick and Stef's, but I don't like Zucca.)

Glad you enjoyed Sweeney Todd!

Now you just need to tell us your Top 20. :)

Janice @ Better off Thread said...

Wow, that certainly doesn't sound like the "Sweeney Todd" that I know and love! I still need to get down there and check it out.
We usually go to Kendall's after a show. Oh so romantic and yummy!
I want to know your top 20 also, let's compare!